War Historical Fiction: Book Recommendations


Hi folks!

How are you? It's been a while, eh? I hope you are all doing fine. And if you aren't, I am virtually sending you my hug! :)

For this post, I want to give you folks book recommendations. I don't think I have done anything like this before, so here's one. Hopefully, I will be able to do this in other genres. ☺

-o-

One of my favorite genres is Historical Fiction. I especially enjoy those set during the war because they are mostly character-driven. I like how the genre reflects the many facets of humanity, and how it shows the dynamics between characters and/or events that may sometimes be complicated but nevertheless, interesting. They are also full of lessons about love, friendship and life, that will surely leave a lasting impression on the reader.

Here are my recommendations (in no particular order): ☺

City of Thieves by David Benioff


I liked this book because it portrayed that one face of World War II where civilians were affected- their lives in those dark times, not knowing when and how the war will end. I think I gave this book 4.5 stars.
During the Nazis’ brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.

By turns insightful and funny, thrilling and terrifying, City of Thieves is a gripping, cinematic World War II adventure and an intimate coming-of-age story with an utterly contemporary feel for how boys become men.


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


I loved this book! This one is another refreshing read about World War II because the story is from the perspective of the poor Germans and those who are called "sympathizers". I gave this book 5 stars. Oh, and don't forget a box (or 2) of tissue if you read this.
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a short yet moving read told in the perspective of a nine-year old boy. One of the things I liked in this book is the innocent and simple approach to story-telling yet deeply moving. I gave this book 4.5 stars! And, you will also need a box of tissue here, folks.
If you start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy named Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.

Fences like this exist all over the world. We hope you never have to encounter one.


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys


This one is a story of hope and survival during the war, not in the hands of the Nazi Germans and Hitler as told in most war historical fiction books, but in the hands of Stalin and the Russians. Between Shades of Gray is a bittersweet and inspiring read. I gave it 5 stars.
One night fifteen-year-old Lina, her mother and young brother are hauled from their home by Soviet guards, thrown into cattle cars and sent away. They are being deported to Siberia.

An unimaginable and harrowing journey has begun. Lina doesn't know if she'll ever see her father or her friends again. But she refuses to give up hope.

Lina hopes for her family.
For her country.
For her future.
For love - first love, with the boy she barely knows but knows she does not want to lose . . .

Will hope keep Lina alive?

Set in 1941, Between Shades of Gray is an extraordinary and haunting story based on first-hand family accounts and memories from survivors.


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


I loved this book because of its unique perspective, showing a glimpse of the different roles of women during the war. The author's writing style is also one of this book's strong points. More than a story about friendship, Code Name Verity tells an inspiring story about loyalty and nationalism. I gave this book 5 stars.
I have two weeks. You'll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That's what you do to enemy agents. It's what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine - and I will do anything, anything to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I'm going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France - an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team.


-o-

There folks- my 5 book recommendations on war historical fiction. Each of them has unique and refreshing perspective. I hope you'll give them a try. ☺

Have you read any of these?