Monday, July 14, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? #3

Hi folks!
Happy Monday!


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey.

-o-

Last week I finally finished rereading Anna and the French Kiss and The Summer I Turned Pretty. Both of them have sequels but I don't think I'll be rereading those too.

 
cover from Goodreads

-o-

I'm still reading God, Just Tell Me What to Do by Michael Youssef but I think I can finish it this week. :)

cover from Goodreads
-o-

I also started reading What It Was Like by Peter Seth. My copy is an e-ARC I got from NetGalley.

cover from Goodreads
From Goodreads:
“It’s really a very simple story. What happened was this: I met this girl and did a very stupid thing. I fell in love. Hard. I know that to some people that makes me an idiot and a loser. What can I say? They’re right. I did some extremely foolish things; I’m the first to say it. And they’ve left me in jail and alone.”

So begins one of the most compelling, emotionally charged, and affecting novels you are likely to read this year.

It is the summer of 1968 and a young man takes a job at a camp in upstate New York before starting his first semester at Columbia University. There, he meets Rachel Price, a fellow counselor who is as beautiful as she is haunted. Their romance will burn with a passion neither of them has ever known before…a passion with the power to destroy.

In the tradition of Endless Love and Gone Girl, What it was Like is an intimate, raw, and revealing journey through the landscape of all-consuming love. It announces the debut of a remarkable storyteller.

-o-

For other non-bookish update:

I watched Fireproof and Miracle in Cell No. 7. Those two movies are very inspiring. I'm thinking of writing reviews, but I'm not entirely sure. Haha!

Also, last Wednesday I took a psych exam for a particular job I'm applying for. Man! I didn't know math skills were included. I'm so dependent on calculator I forgot my fractions. Haha! This Wednesday I'll take a computer exam for the same job. Wish me luck! :)

-o-

For this week, I plan to read:

Odeful by Jennifer Recchio- I got my ARC from NetGalley.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
The 100 by Kass Morgan- I know I still haven't read it. Ugh!



 -o-

That's all folks!

What are you reading?


15 comments:

  1. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was a powerful read but I enjoyed the movie of it even more, though it was so melancholy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the movie. Probably after I read the book. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with the last commenter that The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a powerful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Now I'm really excited to read it. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the job, I'd never get past the math questions without a calculator!

    Have a great reading week,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks! Have a great reading week too! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice assortment of books. I hope you enjoy the ones you chose for this week. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your titles look awfully good. I'm not familiar with any of them. I would love to read What It Was Like by Peter Seth. It always makes me sad to hear about young men and women in jail. I feel they become very remorseful but don't get another chance to prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've never read anything like this before. I think it's refreshing to somehow know the side of those convicted, not only their facts but most especially their emotions.

      Delete
  6. What it was Like sounds fascinating, going amazon to check it out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started so I can't really give a feedback yet but it does sound fascinating. :)

      Delete
  7. I also reread Anna and the French Kiss before Stephanie visited. It's one of my favorites. :) What It Was Like looks very interesting. Will watch out for your review of it... I've watched the Boy in the Striped Pajamas and it was heartbreaking. I've also read some parts of the book. You need tissues for that.

    And oh, good luck with the job application. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The review might take a while but I'll get to it. Haha! Will sure prepare some tissues while reading the Boy in the Striped Pajamas. :)

      Delete
  8. ooh tell me how the 100 is! I love the tv show, can't wait to read the book :)

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete

Book Stop Project: A Pop-up Library