Panic by Lauren Oliver: Book Review

Title: Panic
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publication details: March 4 (my birthday!), 2014 by HarperCollins

Panic has been a tradition among graduating seniors- a legendary game in the small town of Carp, where the prize outweighs the risks.

Heather never really planned on joining Panic. She attends the opening night to support her friend Nat. But when she finds a motivation to continue and fight, she will make sure that she gets the prize.

On the other hand, Dodge is dead set on joining, but he has his own reason. He knows he will win. He's sure of it. But everyone has something to play for. And sometimes, things don't go the way they are planned.


Panic was okay. I have never read anything like it before, so I think it was kind of refreshing? Something new. However, I'm afraid I expected too much. Also, I didn't connect well with the characters, thus, affecting my general thought about the book.

But getting over my unmet expectations, it was a good (or so-so) read. Panic, I think, is more than conquering your fears, proving yourself, or getting even. I think it's about embracing yourself and appreciating the people around you, that there are people who care and people with good intentions. And sometimes, you just have to trust. Even if it's hard to.